From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 01:51:34 +0200
Hello Joe,

14 April, 2000, 23:52:04, you wrote:

JP> When I run scandisk on this computer - PIII 500mhz, 128 mb ram,
JP> 13 gig hdd - it will return this error msg before it finished the scan
JP> "Scandisk has found your top level folder is full.  Please remove
JP> files and try again."

This is exactly what it says - your top folder (C:\ or another drive)
is choke full of files, so you should do some cleanup. Check all your
drives' root folders (C:\, D:\, etc.) (or at least the offending
drive) for files that shouldn't be there; here are some candidates:

* file*._dd      -  scandisk produces those
* *.tmp, *.bak   -  temporary files
* *.             -  files without extension and untelligible name -
                    usually temp files as well
* Any files that have an order in their names and there are a lot of
  similar files, like file0001, file0002, file0005, file006, ...

files that SHOULD REMAIN in the root dir. if they're already there:

* MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, COMMAND.COM
* DRVS*.*        -  DriveSpace volumes (I'm not sure about that)
* Any files with ReadOnly, Hidden or System attribute

and there are a lot of files that MAY be needed, so here's

What to do? First, prepare a boot disk, if you don't have one - just
in case. Next, tag all the "suspects", make a new folder in the top
folder or in any subfolder (like C:\THISDIR or C:\WINDOWS\THISDIR) and
move all them suspects to the new folder.

Reboot, try running different applications, utilities, connect to
Internet, try going standby, run screensaver -- check that anything
works like it should. If it doesn't, move the files back (the DOS MOVE
command is best for this :  " move c:\thisdir\*.* c:\ " will move all
of the files back to their place.

At this point, if the PC works normally, you should have enough empty
space in the top folder. You can delete the extra files immediately,
but if you're not tight on space you can keep them for month or so
should you find out something is not working.

Good luck,

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| FAX (413)431-4014               ICQ 2386792
|
| Freelance website and graphics designer
| Visit my site : http://maxwd.hypermart.net
|
| Editor - Graphics artist
| NOSPIN group