From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 13:26:43 -0600
At 07:32 PM 7/31/98 , Ray Hornung wrote:
>I cannot get my computer to recognize my serial mouse.  I'm running
>WIN95 on a FIC PA-2002 with a pentium 166 CPU.  The motherboard has
>on-board com ports, I've tried configuring the BIOS to recognize each
>one as COM1 (in the event one was bad) without luck. The board has a row
>of 5 pins that say MS_JMP on one end and PS/2_JMP on the other.  The
>manual gives no jumper setting for these, it only acknowledges them in
>the diagram.  Any ideas?

Since we have been all over the board on this one, let's start from scratch.

I did not read that this is a new motherboard in the computer.  Is it in fact
a new motherboard?   What brand of mouse are you using and how is it
ported, (serial mouse I assume)?

I would first check that you have your CMOS set to PNP OS aware.  I would
than be sure that the com ports are set to the default memory & IRQ settings
in the CMOS.

I would also try at least two different mouse devices, to be sure it is not the
mouse, (they typically go bad faster than most hardware).

Now, I would check the device manager for IRQ and memory address conflict
for your mouse driver/com ports.  You will need to use the keyboard to move
around in the Control Panel/device manager if the mouse is dead.  If you have
a conflicting hardware item with the com ports/mouse, delete the conflicting
device driver and your mouse driver from the Device manager.  Then reboot.
The system should reassign them in the proper places.

If this is in deed a new motherboard, be sure you have the serial port connectors
installed in the case the either came with the motherboard or are purchased
seperately specifically for the motherboard.  Check that you have Pin #1 of
the connector on Pin#1 of the motherboard connector.  The connector might be
bad, (the cable coming loose in the connector).  You may need to replace it.

I would copy a simple mouse driver onto your hard drive, such as MS Mouse v9.01.
You can boot to a command prompt, (just boot to MS Dos using the F8 key
when "Now starting Win95..." appears during bootup).   Then change to the
directory when your mouse driver was copied and type:  mouse /f   (or find the
mouse on the system).   This is the fastest way to see if your mouse and MB
work together.  Memory and IRQ conflicts will not stop this from detecting the
mouse if it is good.   Once you have verified you mouse is good, then move
on to Windows95 to solve the problem inside.

If you do not have a mouse driver as listed above, let me know privately.
We will put one in the FTP / WEB download files for PCBUILD.

As far as your MS_JMP  vs.  PS/2_JMP  markings on the motherboard,
this would be straight forward.  One setting is for a serial mouse and the
other for a PS/2 mouse.   If you are using Com ports, you obviously do
not have a PS/2 mouse, but a serial mouse.  Set this jumper accordingly.

I hope this helps...

BOB WRIGHT  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : PC-MS : VPLANETS
                             PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES