From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:23:56 -0600
I suspect that many of us who have built computers from scratch
first started like you.  We then progressed to replacing a motherboard
in an existing pc (also memory and cpu, of course).  Then we built
a computer from scratch.

Since you already have a computer, you have access to this list
for help if you run into trouble.

You will maybe get the best prices by mail order, but if you have
a local supplier for motherboards and cpus, then their help can
be invaluable if you have problems.  Once I installed a mb and
it would not work.  I took it to the local guy and he told me my
memory was not in correctly - a common beginner's mistake.
I was very embarrased because I had checked and rechecked
the memory seating, but did not see that it was not quite in.  So,
if you can, buy local where you can get help.

Don't forget to look at the pcbuild web site.  There is an excellent
explanation of how to put in a mb - the scariest part.

Go for it!

Dean Kukral