From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:55:41 -0700
> "c\windows\system\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm"

  This looks like an attempt to report that the target hostname wasn't
resolvable via DNS.  That *usually* means that the "DNS server" settings in
the network configuration are incorrect.  (On 98SE, they're on a tab under
the TCP/IP Properties.)
  There is a DNS test program (included with the OS) that will run from a
command prompt, called "nslookup".  It will try to establish a connection
based on your current DNS configuration, and then you can type host/domain
names to it and see if it can resolve them to addresses.  "exit" or "quit"
will get you out of the program (or just close the command window).
  The program has additional diagnostic modes that are useful for
troubleshooting DNS servers, which you probably don't need sonce the XP
machines aren't having this problem.

David Gillett

On 17 Jul 2004 at 15:21, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Please forgive me if I'm posting to the wrong forum but I thought this
> problem had more to do with networking.
>
> Bottom line:  Win98 on LAN can see/share with other comps but won't  connect
> to internet.
>
> Details:  Win98SE comp on LAN with 2 Win98SE's and 1 Win XP Pro.   All
> connected via router to DSL.  Latter three comps can connect to  internet.  1st
> Win98 won't.  Bottom of IE6 window says
> "c\windows\system\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm".  (this is daughter's  comp)  I did routine maintenance: internet history
> removal, cookie removal,  *.tmp file removal, scandisk and defrag.  Removed a
> program called  Newdotnet using its uninstall utility.  Afterwards, could not
> connect to  the internet.  Instead got that dnserror message.
>
> I checked internet settings which were identical to other comps successful
> settings.  Even removed TCP/IP and reinstalled thinking it had gotten
> corrupted.  Checked router settings to make sure that comps IP wasn't  blocked.
> Unplugged that comps cat5 from one router port and plugged into  another port
> thinking maybe the port went bad but still the same results.
>
> I googled the dns error message and got several hits.  I found a post  that
> described the problem identically to mine.  The solution was a bad
> deinstallation of new domain reader called New dot Net that gets installed with  Kazaa.
> The post pointed to an uninstall program at the new.net website  that fixed
> that person's problem.  I downloaded the uninstall program and  ran it but stll
> don't have internet access.
>
> Another hit gave info on restoring the shdoclc.dll file.  I ran sfc  and had
> it restore the shdoclc.dll file from the install cab files.  Still  no
> internet access.
>
> I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I apologize for the length of  this
> post but I wanted you experts to know what was done already.
>
> What can I do to get internet access back on that comp and get my daughter
> off my back?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin Nowicki
>
>                The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
>               Mandrake Linux or Red Hat Linux CD sets along
>              with the OpenOffice CD...  at a great price!!!
>              http://freepctech.com/goodies/promotions.shtml

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL