From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 17:03:02 -0400
Hi folks,

I am helping a friend do some shopping for a new computer for her office
that would primarily have the duty of running some billing software.  This
would be a stand alone computer for a small office.  The old pentium 100 did
fine with the DOS version of the software, but it chokes on the windows
version (only 8mb of ram).  The goal is to find as inexpensive a machine as
possible, but I would like to recommend something solidly reliable and with
some possibilities for upgrading later.  She recently upgraded the old
machine with a new CD ROM and US Robotics internal modem (not the winmodem),
so the idea would be to transfer over those components and the original
colorado tape drive to the new computer.

My inclination would be to go for a custom Celoron based system (400mhz)
using either a BX based socket 370 mb, such as the ABIT BM6 or a regular
slot one BX motherboard and the adaptor for socket 370 celerons (someone
suggested a gigabyte mb to use in this manner).  64mb of PC100 SDRAM.  8.4mb
ultra DMA HDD.  1.44mb floppy drive.  And a Millenium G200 8mb AGP card.

Any suggestions on the motherboard?  I know that the Millenium is relatively
expensive for the kind of use this machine will get (they only have a 15"
monitor at this time), what would be a good alternative for a primarily 2D
card?

TIA

John Sproule

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]