From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:05:24 -0600
From: Robert Prickett : Subject: [PCBUILD] Install new hard drive: SUWIN
GPF? total lockup

> After mountains of problems moving a Matrox 13.6gb hard drive to
> another machine [it would not recognize or install things] I finally
> gave up and formatted the thing to start over.  [time for that anyway]
>
> Now, with clean, empty partitions [C=8gb, D=5gb] I try to install
> win98--full install, not upgrade--and immediately after the menu where
> it 'installs software to begin installation' the 'Next click produces
> an error: "SUWIN produced a GPF in module [unknown] at 037F:OCCAasuwin
> with a total lockup--keyboard, mouse, everything.  I have to reboot to
> the same message each time.  The 'C' drive is COMPLETELY empty, so how
> could there be any fault?  I have reformatted a couple of times.
> Scandisk is perfect--no errors.
>
> suggestions please?

Robert,

More information on the computer that you installed the hard drive in would
be helpful in trying to diagnose what the problem is.

In searching the MS Knowledge base for SUWIN GPF during Win98 setup I found
the following article.  There were two reasons for the error, one being an
incorrect system date and the other being an incorrect Product key.

Q187268 - SUWIN Error in Pidgen.dll During Windows 98 Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q187/2/68.asp

If neither of these are the problem, a few other things to check might be
the following. Not all motherboard BIOS's will support an 8 GB partition.
Since you were having problems installing the drive in the computer before
reformatting you might check to make sure that the BIOS supports partitions
larger then 2GB.  Was the drive correctly recognized by the BIOS, do you
have LBA support or Large enabled for the drive in the BIOS, if you Fdisked
the drive did you mark the C partition active?

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>