From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 14:52:25 -0700
Don't look to XP or any other version of NT to be a savior. If you
switch, you will see much more reliable operation with very few crashes.
However, you will also see some slowdown in performance and there will
be compatibility issues where some hardware or software will not operate
properly.

I have used NT since 1992 and am currently using XP Pro. The older
versions of NT (up to 3.51) were VERY stable. I ran NT for over 3 years
before having my first crash! NT 4 introduced me to the blue screen of
death, and Windows 2000 showed me that Windows Explorer can die easily.
XP seems to have better compatibility with software, and is more stable
than Window 2000 or NT 4. Sometimes, however, it seems to run slowly. Of
course, I have a number of background utilities running that I did not
use in earlier versions of NT. On the other hand, I did not need them on
the earlier versions!

My recommendation to Sue: get to a computer that is running XP and see
if you like it. If you do, and your own computer is fast enough to
support XP, then do switch.

Peter
Peter Shkabara - Computer Science Instructor
Columbia College - 11600 Columbia College Drive - Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 588-5156 - [log in to unmask] - http://gocolumbia.org/pesh