From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:57:55 -0500
Greetings Peter and list--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Shkabara" <[log in to unmask]>

> I did check this to make sure. The I/O and interrupts were different -
> they were even different values altogether on my other system. However,
> both exhibited the same behavior - one modem does not work, and if you
> try to uninstall it, the XP crashes! It was the latter part that has me
> particularly worried since XP is supposed to be a reliable and stable
> system. Looks like it is not quite there - no place near as stable as NT
> 3.51 was.
>
> Incidentally, I also checked to see if there were any possible conflicts
> with other devices besides the modems. The two modems just don't work
> together.

It used to be that, if you wanted to install an internal modem,
you needed to disable a com port in the computer's BIOS.
If this remains the case, have all com ports been disabled in
the BIOS?  . . . too allow installation of two modems(Or,
does a com port need to remain enabled in order for the
computer to even recognize a com device like a modem?
On this--and other stuff--I'm not so clear.)

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert

---

                     visit our download web page at: