From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:19:50 -0500
I have an AST 17" digital monitor that I have been using for over 3 years.
Suddenly the horizontal went to about a 3" wide section in the center,
extending the full vertical height.  Its still functional but very
"scrunched" together.  The horizontal controls still work.  Another monitor
works fine on the same system, so I am assuming I have lost considerable
gain in the horizontal amplifier.    What I am wondering is if there might
be an internal gain control to boost the gain back up.  I have done some TV
repair years ago, and am familiar with the HVoltage transformer, and HV
hazards and safety practices, so don't mind looking inside.  But I have no
test equipment(other than a voltmeter) and no schematic, so I may have to
just take it in, but was hoping there might be a tech out there who could
give some advice on what it will probably take to repair.

Also, I have had the monitor on constantly now for about a
year(suspends[black screen] after an hour of nonuse), and wonder if maybe it
would be better to just start shutting down the system overnight.

Thanks, Edna Sloan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html