From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:50:32 -0700
I'm not familiar with your particular drive, but I assume it is
connected via USB. You might try going into Device Manager (control
panel/system/hardware/hard drives) and right click on your USB drive and
select uninstall. When you restart your computer, the drive will be
reinstalled and that might solve the problem.

Rather than turning your computer off and on to turn off the drive, you
might try right clicking on the tray icon for safely removing USB
devices and selecting the USB hard drive. I've not used this feature,
but it would seem that once your USB drive stopped, you would disconnect
the USB cable and then reconnect it. The drive should then be recognized
and usable.

I hope this helps.

Tom

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> I have a Dell 8400  dimension running Win XP SP2, I also have an external
> HD.... LaCie - not sure  how many GB's maybe 80.  Anyway, it just started doing
> this a couple weeks  ago where it won't turn off when you double click on the
> little icon on the task  bar over on the right.  Here's the message I keep
> getting when I try to  turn it off.
>
> "The device "generic  volume" cannot be stopped now.  Try stopping the device
>  later."
>
> I went to trouble shoot it  and looked in the device manager but nothing
> appears wrong, so I ran through  some of the steps they  listed on their help
> sheet to try and see  what it was, but it doesn't have a question for my question
> to answer  it.
>
> Now.. if I turn off my  computer, then turn it back on, it will stop for me..
> but I don't want to have  to keep doing that each time I want it off.
> Harriet

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml