From:
Rick Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 21:50:26 -0400
At 11:44 PM 5/23/2001 -0400, jack wrote:
>OK, but please explain what "system resources" are. I've tried to
>research this question to no avail.
>Thanks,
>
>jack payton

I thought that the links posted by Mary Wolden explained it extremely well-
did you check them out?

The bottom line is that for Win9x, adding RAM just won't increase system
resources because the "system resources" area is restricted to the first
1024k of memory (usually built into the MOBO), and that's that.

The only thing that can be done to free system resources is to limit the
amount of garbage that gets loaded in the background at startup- most of it
is useless and can be started from menu items if you actually should need it.

Try this- (assuming you are using Win98) run MSCONFIG, check selective
startup and uncheck the items for config.sys, autoexec.bat and startup
group items. Reboot and check your system resources- you should see a major
increase if you had much loading in the background at startup.

Rick Lindstrom
Tallahassee, FL. USA

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml