From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 21:26:09 -0700
  One of the "boot disk" downloads from the freepctech.com site unpacks into
a 6-floppy set to boot from and start the XP install process.  (For NT and
2K, it was only three floppies.)  The floppies install the OS core into
memory, and enough drivers that it can transfer to the CD to complete the
installation,
  (There's also a program on the CD to create the floppy set, but I don't
recall its name.)

  Since you are able to boot from a floppy and verify that the CD drive is
seen, this should work.  The remaining hurdle will come if XP can't see a
hard drive to install to....

David Gillett

On 2 Aug 2006 at 18:59, Tim Seaton wrote:

> Ok, I followed the advice given and opened up the computer.  I
> unplugged everything and then plugged it back in, making sure a good
> connection was made.  When I turned the computer back on, I still had
> the “Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility” message – just as
> before.  So, I rebooted using the boot disk and this time managed to
> navigate to the CD Drive, which is labeled as R.  I used the dir
> command and was able to see the entire contents of the Windows XP CD.
> However, it says I am not able to install from DOS.  Any advice on how
> I proceed from this point?
>
> Tim Seaton

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml