Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:30:10 +1100
From: "Mark Rode" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Some win2k and winME questions

> The ram is not being wasted. It is being
> cached by Win2k until it is needed at which time the OS will release it.

What I mean "waste" because I feel the memory was not correctly managed on
my home machine. Before, I only got 128M of RAM, win2k use the same amount
of memory as I have 256M now. The result was horrible. eg Reference machine
(128M, TNT2 ultra) can performe 32M Texture Rendering Speed test, my home
machine (Geforce2 MX 32M video) "cannot" with only 128M of RAM (0.0 FPS),
after I put more RAM in, it's ok for 32M test, but still won't do 64M test
(out of AGP memory). I feel something is not normal.

> However I have had far more problems getting good 2D performance from the
> card on my high end 22 inch flat screen monitor.I have diagnosed this as a
> conflict between the monitor driver and this video card, the only solution
> to which is a new video card. You may have a similar conflict. If you want
> to play games in Win2000 with this card then you can  try using Nividia
> Reference or Detonator drivers. If that doesn't work then there may not be
> a solution. You may have a driver conflict with another device and
> unfortunately Nividia is not known for updating their drivers.

At work, before every machine shipped out, it must pass number of tests. One
of them is Gaming Stability test, which means at least 4hrs (if the system
shows any crash during test, next time it must run overnight without showing
any problems, it will never reach customer if there is "crash") of running
Q3/3DMark 2000/or whatever the hardest task the video/system can perform
(eg. if SiS based card won't do OpenGL, test with 3DMark 2000, or Direct3D
games demo loop). It's not matter of playing games on win2k, it's matter of
system stability. the exact problem with TNT2 ultra card + win2k is, the
system may run 2hrs of test, but won't run long enough to meet the "pass"
point. We've tried all drivers we can get hand on, with no luck.

Jun Qian

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html