From:
Tom Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:44:53 -0500
I'm trying to get two computers to access the internet as well as talk
to each other. I thought I was pretty familiar with how to set things up
(I have 5 networked at home). The set up that I'm doing, though is one
Windows Me machine and one Windows XP Home machine. Cable internet
access and a 4 port hub/switch.

The XP machine has one network card that will try to send information,
but it will not receive anything. I've hooked it directly to the cable
modem, also, but it still cannot find the DHCP server. It does assign an
IP address, and it also has the little taskbar icon that says that it's
connected at 10Mbps. I've had this same machine at my place, and it was
working fine, so I know that the NIC is good.

The Windows Me machine now has two network cards. I am trying to use it
as a "gateway". It connects to the internet, just fine, but it cannot
see the XP machine when hooked up through the hub. I'm sure that this is
due to the fact that the XP machine isn't configured right.

I've tried to configure the XP machine to use 192.168.*.* (with numbers
instead of asterisks, of course), but there is still no change in the
way it acts.

My big question is "Does the XP machine want to be the "main" machine?"
Should I make the XP machine the gateway computer? I'm actually going to
try this tomorrow, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience
with a problem like this. There could be something that I'm missing.
Both computers are using Client for Microsoft Networks, and they both
are using the exact same workgroup. They both have individual names. I'd
like to be able to use the Me machine as the gateway, but if I have to
switch to make this work, I will.

   Thanks for your help, everyone!
     Tom