From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:08:48 -0500
From: Ding Marcelo :Subject: [PCBUILD] scsi workstation

> > The Abit BE-6 BIOS has an option to select the boot order.  In the "Bios
> > Features" sub menu, "Boot Sequence" select "A,C,EXT". Then under "Boot
> > Sequence EXT Means" to "SCSI".  This will allow you to boot from your
scsi
> > drive.  The drive must be partitioned and formatted and the boot drive
set
> > as active before you will be able to boot from it.  You will need to add
> > drivers for you Tekram card to your boot disk to do this. SCSI
peripherals
> > will not show up in your motherboard BIOS, they show up on the SCSI
cards
> > BIOS.  I am curious how you have the scanner, 2 cd roms and the zip
drive
> > daisey chained, as this card does not have an external connector for
SCSI-2
> > 50 pin devices.  The card does not have external and internal connectors
for
> > the SCSI-2 50 pin bus, so I do not understand why the HP scanner and the
> > cd-roms are terminated.  I would suspect a termination problem as the
reason
> > that your cd-roms and zip drive are not accesible.  With more
information on
> > how these drives are attached to the card and diasey-chained together,
> > someone should be able to help figure out any termination problems that
you
> > might have.
> >
> > Mary Wolden
> >

> Hi Mary,
>
> The Tekram comes with an internal 50 pin to external  High density 50
> pin D-type connector External adaptor .The connection on the SCSI-2 50
> pin bus goes like this :
>
> External Terminator(active)>>>HP Scanner >>> Tekram PCI >>> CD-R>>>
> CD-ROM>>> ZIP dive>>> Internal terminator(active).
>
> termination on the CD-R, CD-ROM & ZIP are disabled.
>
> The LVD Ultra wide 68- pin bus using Tekram LVD/SE Cable :
>
> Tekram >>> Atlas III >>> LVD terminator.
>
> The SCSI Bios shows all the SCSI ID's and peripheral. and have the ABIT
> bios select to boot from "SCSI "  as you mentioned and yet  it still
> boot to IDE 1 hard disk.
>
> Ding Marcelo

If  I understand you correctly the system is currently booting to a Quantum
13.6 GB IDE hard drive, you also have a WD 6.4 GB IDE drive, but you can't
see the SCSI Quantum 18.0 Gb hard drive at all.  Have you booted to DOS yet
and run Fdisk to see if the Quantum SCSI 18 GB drive shows up?  From what
you wrote the Quantum SCSI disk has not been partitioned or formatted yet so
it will not show up anywhere except in the Tekram BIOS.  The Tekram card
should not be sharing an IRQ with another device.  Which controllers are the
Quantum IDE 13.6 GB and WD IDE 6.4 GB hard drives connected to?  Which slot
do you currently have the Tekram card in?  You may have to go into the BIOS
and set the IRQ for each slot to get everything to work properly.  The AGP
slot and the first PCI slot (slot next to AGP port) share an IRQ,  the
second PCI slot is a good place for the Tekram card,  the 3rd PCI slot is
used by the Highpoint 66 controller and should not have a card in it, and
the 4th and 5th PCI slots share an IRQ.  In the BIOS the slots are referred
to as 0 through 3 with the 0 slot being the PCI slot next to the AGP slot.
The last PCI slot is not listed as the IRQ assignment is the same as 3.

I hope some of this information will help to identify where your problem is.

Mary Wolden