From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:45:39 -0700
Tim & everyone else following this:

There is a perfectly lovely FAQ on the Maxtor site addressing BIOS limitations
vs. operating system limitations.  The URL for it is:

http://www.maxtor.com/technology/q&a/qa610017.html

Windows 95 itself (all versions) has no inherent limitation in recognizing
drives greater than 8.4GB.  Any limitation in actual use of the drive is due to
the system BIOS, not Windows 95. The bottom line for the various versions of
Windows 95 or greater is this quote from the page:

"Windows 95: Windows 95 version A (standard version) does support extended
interrupt 13 so it can support drives with capacities greater than 8.4G. Because
of the limitation of the FAT16 file system, a minimum of five partitions will
need to be created on the hard drive. This is caused by the 2.048 GB partition
limitation of a FAT 16 Operating System.  Partition quantities will increase as
the hard drive’s capacity increases (e.g., an 11 GB hard drive WILL require a
minimum of six partitions).

Windows 95B / OSR2: Windows 95B (OSR2) does support extended interrupt 13 which
allows the operating system to support drives larger than 8.4GB. Windows 95B
(OSR2) also supports FAT 32 which lets the user create one large partition. A
FAT 32 partition can only be created if the partition size is greater than 512
megabytes.

Windows 98: Windows 98 pre-releases have been able to support drives greater
than 8.4GB with use of extended interrupt 13. Windows 98 also uses FAT 32 which
allows the user to create one partition to the full capacity of the drive."