From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:30:36 -0500
I will be getting broadband (fiber: woo hoo!) at home soon.  I am looking for
some advice on safely sharing our internet connection with my 10-year old son
using a pc we built together connected to a Linksys router by wire.  Currently,
he connects through CCProxy, which can be set to use a filter file.  This is fine
on dial-up (very slow, but that's no surprise).

Thing is, when the phone company's network adapter gets here, he could
conceivably bypass the proxy.  I can keep him from changing proxy settings if
he uses Windows, but he doesn't.  He is using Linux (ubuntu).  I do not want to
make him go back to Windows if there is a way to control his access via some
hardware or software.

Beyond proxy solutions, there are some cases where a proxy just doesn't
work, such as Club Penguin.

I'm thinking I might be able to deny internet access in the router (DD-WRT
maybe?) by mac address or IP and only allow on a case-by-case basis.

Any help appreciated.

Paul Jones