From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:07:04 -0400
The numbers, 533 MHz system bus speed and 333 MHz memory bus speed, actually
are sometimes referred to as "effective" bus speeds, as in "the system bus
is effectively running at 533 MHz".  The actual bus speed in clock ticks is
only 133 MHz for the system bus and the 166 MHz for the memory bus.  The
higher numbers are arrived at by taking into account that the Pentium 4
motherboard's front side bus is capable of handling four bits of data per
clock cycle (i.e., it is "quad-pumped", in Intel's lingo) and the Double
Data Rate memory is capable of handling 2 bits of data per cycle (thus, the
double data rate).  4 x 133 = 533, and 2 x 166 = 333.

A utility like CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) will break these things
down for you when it reports on what your motherboard, memory, and processor
are doing.

I don't know what options your motherboard offers in its BIOS, but you may
be able to increase the memory bus speed to 200 MHz (400 MHz, effective),
since you memory should support this speed.  I don't know if being able to
do so would result in any tangible overall performance gain or not.  I guess
you'd have to try it and test it out.

Different BIOS represent the bus speeds in different ways.  They may show
them as a ratio of one to the other.  For example, you currently are running
4/5 ratio of system/memory bus speeds.  Increasing your memory to 200 MHz
should result in a 2/3 ratio (133/200).

John Sproule