From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 08:40:29 -0700
I've never seen a message like that, but I can only think that it is the
CMOS battery that is referenced. Most CMOS batteries are easily
replaceable on the motherboard. They are normally small circular flat
batteries. Note the + and - orientation when you remove it. You will
probably be able to replace it at any store that has a reasonable
selection of batteries. If not, you will need to try a computer parts
store. There are computer battery on-line stores if needed. A relatively
few motherboards have the battery connected to the motherboard and are
not replaceable without the requisite technical skills and tools.

As to changing the CMOS back (I would start with "default" settings),
just go into the CMOS as the computer initially powers up and make the
change. If you can not get into the CMOS, a lot of motherboards have a
jumper setting to clear the CMOS and restore the "default" settings. You
will need to research your motherboard.

I've noticed lately that the terms "BIOS" and "CMOS" are routinely being
used interchangeably. To me, the BIOS is the machine's settings that are
on a chip and are not changeable without replacing or "flashing" the
BIOS whereas the CMOS contains additional machine directions that are
changeable by the user. The  CMOS requires a small trickle of energy
from an onboard battery to retain its settings.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Darcy Lidge wrote:
> I was using a refurbished Pentium III Desktop (no name). During the boot process, I kept getting a message "Warning: Battery low. 2.26V or V 2.26". I went into the BIOS setup and changed the CPU speed to manual. Now the computer will not boot. What happened? Could this be related to the CMOS chip and if not, what battery is the system referring to?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml