From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:16:29 -0800
  Okay, so now we know that it is a basic low-level problem, at the TCP/IP
layer or below.  On the other hand, if it started with an OS re-install then
it's probably not a hardware or cable problem.

  It may, though, be a driver/NIC configuration issue.  When you go to
Control Panel|Network and select the NIC (NOT the binding of TCP/IP to the
NIC, which is a separate entry in the list...), the box has an "Advanced"
tab which provides access to NIC hardware settings and driver parameters.
Exactly what settings are present will depend on the driver, but it's
possible that one or more of these is not correct.  Can you find and report
the settings present on the two machines?

  (Also note that the driver since the re-install is probably the driver
that shipped on the Win98 disk, and may not be the most current available.
What make/model of NIC is it?  There's even a slight chance that it's the
driver for a NIC that uses a similar chipset but isn't quite compatible with
the driver you've got installed.  (The 3Com 3C905(A/B/C) series were
infamous for an even worse problem, where similarly-labelled NIC models used
utterly incompatible hardware, and 3Com's driver packages couldn't
distinguish which software version a given card actually would work with.))

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml