From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 06:58:06 -0700
At 06:18 PM 6/23/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a CD Burner installed, using this same burner, with a DVD
>recording software, would I be able to burn a DVD disc, or would I have
>to buy a DVD burner ?

The media and format for DVD is completely different than CD-R or CD-RW. To
make matters even more confusing, there are two common standards, DVD-R(W)
and DVD+R(W).

If you want to burn DVD's, you need a DVD burner. Most drives these days
are dual format, supporting both + and - formats. These burners can also
burn CD-R and CD-RW. You can usually get them for about $100 US.

You would also need software that can prepare the DVD image, depending on
what you want to do. To be able to play movies in a home DVD player, it has
to be in the right format. There are several packages to help
edit/author/create movies and burn them to DVD, Ulead and Pinnacle come to
mind.

If all you want is to store data, then most of the later versions of
burning SW (like Nero), can burn data to DVD.

Russ Poffenberger
Credence Systems Corp.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml