From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:54:21 -0700
        Mark, your have written a very interesting column. I read an article in PC
Magazine not too long ago by Bill Machrone on his setting up a box for his
mother or mother in-law and the woes she had with it as an older person
http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/opinions/0,7802,2692065,00.html   This
was after my 80year+ stepfather decided that he wanted a new computer to
replace his 386. He is not a newbie by any means, but he hasn't used it much
in the last couple of years since my mom has been on the downslide. He
ordered a PIII 733 Dell with average components, and a nice HP 970 printer.
To watch a person have so much trouble with the mouse is really discouraging
to say the least. I have booted it up and found the task bar dragged 2/3 of
the way up the screen. Some suggested a track ball, but I think he is really
frustrated by the lack of hand eye coordination that he rarely uses it now.
So in summation, your suggestion for Web-TV is very valid.
I hope others in the position of getting parents or others look at other
options other than some screaming machine that possibly will be more trouble
than it is worth.

Brad Loomis
Los Angeles, CA

About 18 months or so ago I wrote a column about the future of broadband
and Web TV.http://www.freepctech.com/rode/021.shtml.

Since the column appeared I have received numerous email from readers who
were exactly in your postilion....i.e. they have parents with no computer
skills who would like to email their kids and see what the web is all
about. So they made or bought them computers and tried to teach them how to
use them online. After a frustrating experience trying to set up a PC they
stumbled on my column and  turned to Web PC ... and their parents love it.
snipped below....

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml