From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:53:10 -0400
You don't give any info on the hard drive space you currently have,
photo volume or software you use other than email, word processing and
lots of pictures.  You may get some basic package for email and word
processing with the laptop.
I would consider additional RAM as my first priority.  Laptops and
desktops rarely come with an optimum amount of ram.
I would avoid a slow cpu, the extra dollars will  help extend the usable
life of the laptop.  I can't say how well a laptop works for gaming, but
gaming usually needs a 'better than basic' cpu.  You'll need to plug in
a joystick at the least, probably with a usb connector.
Hard drive space is also a relatively low cost upgrade, especially if
you will have lots of photos stored.
Then a dvd reader/cd writer combo, this can be used to backup photos and
other files on cd at little cost and the dvd capability will let you
watch a dvd movie from a rental store while traveling.  A large screen
would make that a better experience if you would do it often, as well as
show your photos better.
Wireless connectivity will facilitate connecting to the internet at
'wireless hotspots', which are proliferating, especially at truck stops
and hotel/motels.
Most laptops offer a floppy disk drive, usually you pop out the dvd/cd
drive and insert the floppy.  If you want to be able to read/write
floppies, include that option.
Buying the Dell software to facilitate moving FILES depends on how much
you need to move.   If you have usb ports on the Gateway,  usb drives
can be had for $20-30  and can hold 512 mb or more of files.    Backup
files from the Gateway, restore to the Dell.  When done, you still have
the usb drive for storage.  A USB drive is also useful for copying
photos or word documents and then printing them out at the drugstore,
photoshop or office supply store.
Software to move PROGRAMS from one computer to another is a different
product.  In this case, there are software products that will move the
program code and the necessary registry data to another computer, if the
old software is compatible with win xp.  That function may not be part
of the software Dell is selling.
Try to see a model similar to what you're buying first - maybe a friend
has one, etc.  Some people don't like the keyboard feel or key spacing
on laptops, or the mouse 'pad' or 'eraser' are hard to use.
Some people have GPS (global positioning system) products and software
to help them with travel directions, etc.  If you'll be using the unit
in the car, consider either an extra battery or a car charger.
.
Paul Hachmeyer

Sharon Kiellach wrote:

>Hello-
>We are contemplating purchasing a laptop. I currently have a Gateway 500 PC from 1998 and it's getting tired and ornery.  It's been doing some funky things lately and we're afraid it's days are numbered.
>Since my husband and I are planning to retire shortly and do some traveling, we're opting to replace the PC with the laptop. A Dell Inspiron 1505 has been recommended. We would like to upgrade to Vista eventually (is Microsoft the way to go?). We do e-mailing, word processing, and have many pictures that we are currently storing. We'd like to transfer them to CDs, a capability that we now lack. In retirement, we may expand our usage of computer capabilities.   My husband is slowly increasing his gaming expertise.
>Also, Dell wants to sell me a program for $56 that supposedly facilitates transfer of data from my old PC to the new laptop. Is there a more efficient, less expensive way to do that?
>Any specifications I should absolutely have? I'm not looking for minimum components. We'd like this to be something that will adapt to the fast-changing computer world in as much as one can predict today. On the other hand, we don't want to be getting frills that we'll never use.
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>Sharon K.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>