Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 20:03:21 -0700
My Win7 network has been very reliable. It took a bit of tweaking to
make it happy with my XP and Linux boxes, but not all that much.
I've been using my USB HDs for backup because my NAS drives are too
small, but the advantage to a network drive is that any computer on the
network can use it as long as the router is working.

Interestingly, Win7 won't back up to a network drive unless you have
Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate, so you'll need some software unless you
have one of those.
Cobian does network backups, but I don't have much experience with it:
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm