Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:36:15 +1000
From: "bobwarasila" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 4:31 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Building a new computer in a old Dell box?

> I'm assembling parts for my P4 project this summer and had hoped to use a
> 1997 vintage Dell box my son has given me.  I'm replacing the power supply
> with a ZALMAN 300W and have added a cooling fan (original box doesn't have
> one).  When I got to the front of the case I discovered Dell used a
printed
> circuit board to carry the power switch, reset switch and LED's.   The
wires
> come off on a 16 ribbon terminating in a 16 pin female connector.  Is it
> likely this connector will match up to a similar standard on a new P4
mobo?

It will never match any standard mobo, you get a dell, you stick with it.
But, it is very possible to get around, you need to to find out a lot more
info however.  In the worst situation, you can do what Carroll suggested,
which requires a little case mod.  If you can find out the pin assignment on
the dell board, you could use standard jumper cable, and just patch the
jumpers to correct pin, this should work.

> I looked at the Soltek board I used last year and it's connectors were on
> 30 pin set.  I hate to spend the money on a new box just because the
buttons
> are connected differently.

This is the part I don't want to say (people don't like to listen), but to
speak the truth, it is not a very smart thing to recycle your dell box.  The
money you spent on new power supply, and case fan, in total, would come
close to a good quality case with good power supply. eg. Antec Lanboy case,
which come with 350w Antec power supply + case fan, is barely expensive
(US$20 - $30) than just buy the power supply itself.

Jun Qian