From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:26:05 -0400
Not enough info about cable (40 or 80 wire?)...

Jumpers matter.
Jumpers and other drives and how BOTH are jumpered sometimes matters.
Sometimes if they are different brands they may never work together.

Adding to the above:
On a 40 wire cable, it is not good to use "just" the center connector,
but I guess it would work until you noticed there were problems.
(I guess theoretically you could get "standing waves" and reflections and/or
interference on the section of cable not used - (not attached to anything.)

On an 80 wire cable, the position on the cable matters.
A Master always goes on the short end (should be Black),
the Slave (if any) on the center (should be Gray),
and the long end (should be blue)  to the MB or controller card.
UNLESS they are all jumpered cable select on a system that supports it,
and then all bets are off...  (Are you using the cable that came with the system?)

Basically, you have to know what you have, what the limitations are,
how to jumper the drive (or drives together), and some other things
before you can start, or get a good answer.  Hope this helps.

                                                              Rick Glazier

From: "E B Lund" <[log in to unmask]>