Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:59:08 +1300
Hi Jim.  I can tell you how that setup goes:

Sorry, I read your description and went crosseyed - I'll just tell you how I
set mine up.

There are a couple of different layouts for USB pins - I think you have the
type that I'm familiar with, which goes as follows:

Looking at the mobo with the USB pins on the end nearest you and the CPU
furthest away, you're looking at two rows of pins.  The row nearest you has
4 pins, the upper row has 5, with the extra pin to the right.

The 'hot' pins are the two on your left, ie the leftmost of each of the two
rows.

The VCC end of each plug is the 'hot' lead.

The fourth pin FROM the left, in each row, takes the separated ground plugs,
I don't think it matters which one goes in which row.

Damned if I know what the extra 5th pin in the upper row does - it's marked
in the manual as 'USB' 'Over' 'Current'.  Someone here might know.

This setup is common on Gigabyte 7VKML and 7VKMLS mobos.  But some versions
have a different layout - the top row has one pin at the left, then a gap,
then three pins.

The lower row, nearest you, has the three pins to the left, then a gap, then
a single pin - in other words, the reverse of the upper row.

In each group of three pins, the 'hot' pin is the outermost, the separate
one the ground.

If you can't understand my description, mail me and I'll send you a coupla
photos ffom the manual.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown