From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:28:33 -0700
In addition to what Dean has mentioned, The "out of range" message
normally refers to the monitor settings. When XP installs, it uses a
default VGA output that is apparently not acceptable to the monitor.
Unfortunately, I've not encountered this issue during XP installation,
only during installing new monitors and/or video cards. With an
operating OS, the output settings going to the monitor can be changed to
be within the "range" of the monitor. Perhaps someone else can help. BTW
I've only encountered this issue with LCD monitors and normally involves
the refresh rate. Just a thought, if the computer has a video card AND
onboard video, I would remove the video card and connect the monitor to
the onboard video. If that works, the video card can be reinstalled later.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Dean Kukral wrote:
> Usually, when you use an upgrade cd, you can boot from that cd and do a direct install.  It usually offers you a chance to format
> the old drive, which I would do here to get rid of any of the old stuff that failed.  Sometime it then asks for the cd of the o.s.
> that  you are upgrading from, at which time you insert the old cd.  It is not necessary to actually install the old o.s.  You just
> insert the old cd until it is satisfied.
>
> The cmos settings should be set to automatic, I would think.  That is - if I recall - on the very first page of the BIOS page.  You
> should be able to  do that.
>
> There is a potential problem, however, if XP thinks that the license has already been used for the upgrade cd.  You might have to
> call Microsoft to get approval.  It is usually easy when you explain what you are doing.
>
> HTH
>
> Dean Kukral

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml