From:
"Steven J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:59:25 -0600
I recently ran across an interesting piece of information regarding
Microsoft XP. But ...  this may be just what you need to get things running
right again. Try to type into the Run box " services.msc " minus Quotes, and
see if you can see any services running that could affect your CD Rom
Drives!! Not sure if it helps, but great little tip none the less!!

Good Luck,   Steve...

Subject: [PCBUILD] CD ROM & CD-RW Not Being Found

Hi;

I'm new to this web site and am hoping someone can help me.

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a home built machine. Recently one of my kids
installed a "patch" to a game that allowed him to run the game without the
CD being present in the drawer; I don't know why... and this IS a legit,
retail version of the game, it's not some pirated copy (just so you know).

At any rate, this "patch", it appears, disabled both my CD ROM and my CD-RW.
I can see them both listed in the device manager, and Windows tells me that
it has found the drivers for both devices, but can not find the devices
themselves.

I have "uninstalled" both drives by using the device manager, and then
re-booted, hoping Windows that Windows XP would "find" them again, and
reinstall them. While the "found new hardware" icon did appear in my taskbar
when I rebooted, the drives are still not found. They show little yellow "!"
over them both in the device manager. I don't know what else to try.

I have a fairly recent system backup (done via the System Backup function in
XP, including system settings) and of course I have retail CD's for Win XP
Pro, the game in question etc. Both the game in question and the "patch"
have been uninstalled.

Would reloading Windows or doing a system restore solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

~ Paul Helling