From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:59:13 -0400
I assume that the computer seemed to work well enough when you first put it
together and that you were able to go through the process of installing the
operating system before running into the problem with booting into windows.
Your mentioning a problem with memory timings and the description of using a
256 and a 512 MB memory module makes me think that you should make sure that
you are not trying to run these in dual channel mode.  If I'm reading the
manual right, this means using DIMM slots 1 and 2, but not 1 and 3 or 2 and
3.

The memory timings are adjusted through the BIOS under the Advanced Chipset
Settings.

You might want to go into the BIOS, under the PC Health Status section and
see that your processor temperature is not too high (< 130 deg F).  This is
a good way to confirm that you have the heatsink properly set on the
processor.

Since the first video card didn't work but the second one did (and I assume
that they were both AGP cards), this makes me wonder if there was a problem
with the first video card that you tried.  You could confirm this, if you
had another computer (with support for 8X AGP) that you could try this first
video card in.

John Sproule