From:
Gary Kaucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:05:51 -0500
I am trying to help a friend get a CD-ROM to work on a Packard Bell Axcel
350CD so I can install Windows 98. My Windows 98 Bootdisk doesn't work so I
did fdisk and format, and installed DOS 6.22. Then I used some software
that I downloaded from http://www.bootdisk.com to try and get the CD-ROM to
work in DOS. I was able to use one of the drivers (Matsushita) to recognize
D: ,but unfortunately when I insert a CD into the CD-ROM, I am unable to
change directories or do anything. Nothing happens when I try to make the
CD do anything. It just "freezes" with no error messages.

I figure that maybe I should check the jumpers on the CD-ROM and HDD to see
if they are set propperly. Here is what I found:

The HDD is a Seagate Medalist Model ST3491A connected via ribbon cable to
the PCI IDE connector (J22) and it's jumper is set as a standalone master.
The documentation indicates that this would make J22 the primary connector.
Nothing else is connected to this ribbon cable.

The CD-ROM is a  Matsushita-Kotobuki Model CR-572-B manufactured February,
1995. It is connected via ribbon cable to the IDE connector (J23) and it's
jumper is set as master.

Since I was able to switch from  the C: drive to the D: drive, I thought
that maybe I was on the right track here and that the driver was OK, since
the CD-ROM was recognized. Does the fact that one connector is called a
"PCI IDE" connector, and the other is called an "IDE" have something to do
with my preddicament? Any help appreciated.

Gary

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html