From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:02:55 -0300
No, probably not.  One of your memory sticks probably needs to be inspected,
cleaned and reseated.  If you can reach them safely (some are blocked by the
floppy drive, etc.), take them out one at a time and run a pencil arasure
lightly over the contacts and, making sure there is no debris left from the
erasing, put the stick back, making sure it is in the correct direction and
seated firmly.  Memory chips do not in my experience go out very often
except from mishandling, but the can get corroded.  Some memory chips came
constructed with different metals for contact with the motherboard sockets
and were subject to severe corrosion with the motherboard.  I sold memory
back in 1995 when I was working in the service department for a CompUSA
store, I was told to not sell the tin plated chips because of warantee
problems!  I hope this helps.
Howard Rubin, Fortaleza Brazil

RE:
Date:    Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:27:09 -0500
From:    Richard Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: xms driver won't load

When I try to boot windows98se in a Digital 5120
I get the message xms driver won't load due to unstable memory at 00f00002.
Is the motherboard trash?
      Thanks,
       Rick

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: