From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:36:16 -0500
Is your LAN modem connected by USB?  If so, the USB ports may not have
enough power to support both the USB devices.  The (usually) two USB ports
from the motherboard usually are supplied with a single power source that
is usually not high powered. High power usage by two devices can drop the
USB voltage below the operating spec of one or both devices.  I have a 4
port Powered USB hub to connect to my many USB devices and now have no
problems.

Doug

At 1/22/2003 11:15 AM, Joe Horley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have a problem with my computer too.  If I'm using the LAN modem to
>connect to the Internet my Microsoft optical mouse will not function if I
>connect using a USB connection.  It works fine using the PS2 port.  If I'm
>using the mouse, without connecting to the Internet, on the USB connection
>it works just fine.  This problem started after my hard drive was
>formatted and Windows 98SE was loaded.  Previously, I'd been using Windows
>98.  I believe that these hardware items are in conflict with each other,
>but, I'm too computer illiterate  to know what to do about it.  I believe
>these items are both trying to use the same IRQ to function. (IRQ 9).  I
>think this would be a 'piece of cake' for someone to fix if they had just
>a bit more computer sense than I have.  In the meantime I'll just keep
>using the PS2 port for my mouse.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com