From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:53:17 -0700
Lets address the RAID 0 vs. RAID 1 question first. Do you want speed or
safety? RAID 0 gives you speed by distributing the data to two drives
instead of just one. RAID 1 is mirroring that saves the same data to both
drives - no speed advantage but you get a backup copy in case one drive
fails.

If you use RAID 0 for speed, then you should have a matched pair of drives.

For video, there is an additional consideration. Modern drives use RLL
recording techniques that require periodic recalibration of the head
position. During the recalibration process, the drive does not accept data
to be written. In a video stream, such an interruption would cause loss of
video information. To avoid this problem, you need a drive that can delay
its recalibration. Such drives are designed with video in mind and also cost
a lot more.

Heat can be a problem, but you might check to see how much heat a particular
drive produces. Some drives run a lot cooler than others. If you install
multiple drives, try to position them so that there is good air space
between them for circulation of cooling air.

This is as much information as I can share with you. Perhaps others may
contribute some more details.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,