From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:35:57 -0400
HI,

Windows 2000, before SP4, has a similar problem with large drives.

One solution, Install the Os to a smaller drive, download all the
patches and fixes and SP4 (sp1 fro Xp pro).  Then use an image coping
program that can handle large drives and NTFS partitions and copy the
smaller drive to the 160G and you should get it's full capacity.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
Hi All

Just finished building my first PC.  Had a lot of fun and it was a
success
except for the hard drive partition.   The drive is a Maxtor 160GB ultra
series.  Windows only can partition up to 137GB so I can't use all the
storage on the drive.

I found the Maxtor support page on this problem and I downloaded sp1 and
then the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.  When I installed the Maxtor Big
Drive Enabler it said it was installed but when I went to device manager
it said the size of C  is 131 GB but in the BIOS  and under capacity in
device manager it is 160 and 156 GB.  I am thinking that I need to have
winxp with sp1 before I format and downloading it after is not effective
or am I doing something wrong. Is there a way to get my C drive up to
full capacity?

My motherboard is a ASUS P4S8X with a sis648 so I can't use the Intel
fix.

I could get an Ultra ATA PCI adapter card if there is no other way and
do another winxp clean install.  Although 137 GB is large enough I still
would like to have the use of all the storage.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml