From:
Diane Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:44:58 -0700
Hi,

Please, I need some guidance with this fiasco.

I've just installed a new hdd as the slave.  It's recognized in the bios as
a slave on the Primary (I can't believe it, but I know what that means)

I want to partition it and load XP Pro, then make it the boot device.  I
have XP Pro CD and the SP1 CD from M$ (they say it's equivalent to SP1a).

The drive is a Seagate barracuda, 80GB, ATA.  I tried to use the bundled
DiscWizard, but it keeps freezing; tried to find a fix on Seagate's site,
but it's too difficult.  The wizard is supposed to partition, etc, and make
life easy, but unfortunately...
OTOH, luckily there's ya'all  :)

My current drive is running 98se on the C:\ and all data and programs are
on the D:\.  The cd roms are on the E and F.  This particular 98se is a
reinstall from the 98se disc.  I want to keep the current hdd as is, just
add this new hdd and make it the boot OS.

(This may sound dumb, but how does my system know what letters to give the
new hard drive when I tell it to format and partition and all that?  It's
sort of like chicken and egg time to me.)

thanks tons,
Diane

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com