From:
Art Cassel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:39:46 -0700
A warning to all list members concerning rebates and relations between
Pacific Digital Corporation and Best Buy.

When a $10.00 rebate was not forthcoming after being mailed to PD on
November 29, 1999, I decided to contact them via e mail 2 days ago.  I
am attaching copies of my correspondence and their reply;

I wrote

> Please pass this message on to PDC customer service.  Thank You
>
> On 11-29-99, a rebate claim was sent to your rebate service company in
> Phoenix.  The claim was a $10.00 rebate on a 10 pack of 700 mb CD-R's.
> All requested documents (copy available) were sent.  As of this date,
> April 12, 2000, I have yet to receive my rebate check.  The stated 8
> week wait has been exceeded by a factor of two.  By advertising rebates,
> Pacific Digital has a moral and ethical responsibility to follow through
> with said rebates.  Failure to due so can only cause harm to PD's
> reputation in the retail marketplace.
>
> Thank you in advance for your response,

PDC replied

> "Thank you for contacting Pacific Digital Corporation about your product
> mail-in rebate. Unfortunately, at the present time, Pacific Digital is
> unable to satisfy outstanding mail-in rebates of Best Buy customers due to a
> pending dispute with Best Buy concerning the payment of money which Best Buy
> owes to Pacific Digital.
>
> "We have filed litigation against Best Buy to recover the money that is due
> to Pacific Digital. As soon as we resolve this dispute, Pacific Digital
> should be able to promptly mail out a rebate check to you.
>
> "We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.  Pacific Digital values your
> business and will do whatever it can to satisfy you."

I feel this is a very unethical treatment of its customers by PD, and
question the financial stability of this company and its ability to
support its products.  Those of you considering a new CD burner and
cards (such as UDMA-66) might give some thought as to where this company
will be tomorrow.

Art Cassel

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
      the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are always provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions