From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:05:58 -0500
I think the rationale for the original ATX design, with the P/S fan blowing
in was to have it blowing across the CPU heatsink.  (Or, am I being too kind
to whoever came up with that idea?)  Of course, using warm air to do this
had it's drawbacks, and soon almost all CPU heatsinks had fans on them,
anyway.  Consequently, I've turned the fan around inside older ATX P/S, too.

If the system only has one case fan, I usually set it up on the back of the
case blowing out, even with the P/S blowing out, as well.  Pulling the heat
away from the CPU and getting it out of the case will usually give you the
lowest MB, case, and CPU temps.  If there is a need or desire for another
fan, I typically put this on the front, blowing into the case.  Of course,
if your case has a blowhole on the top and/or a fan in the side of the case
over the video card, you have lots of other options to play around with,
too.  ;-)

John

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml