From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:27:04 -0400
Thomas,
A checksum error would more than likely indicate that at least part of the
BIOS is corrupt. The fact that you can't get into the BIOS settings and the
system won't post and won't find the harddrive helps to confirm this. First
you might want to try replacing the CMOS battery. If that doesn't work and
it's a flashable BIOS,  and you can track down the mobo manufacturer (you
can decode it from Award's site by checking the BIOS ID string), you *might
be able to get it to flash and fix it.  If not, it's probably time to retire
that mobo. By the way, the CPU you describe in your message is not a 486.
I'ts an early AMD K5/75 mhz, which is a Pentium class CPU.
Regards,
Glenn Josephson