From:
Louise Gainor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:21:05 -0400
If you use the "screwdriver under the cap" part, don't forget to connect a
clip lead from the screwdriver shaft to the chassis ground, or else you will
be dead when you stick the screwdriver in there.  Connect the lead to ground
and the screwdriver FIRST, then put the screwdriver under the second anode
cap. There will be a small pop when the screwdriver tip makes contact with
the second anode (under the cap).

Better yet, if you're going to be doing this a lot, go buy yourself a high
voltage probe and use it to discharge the CRT.  Remember that the second
anode will continue to build up a charge, so you need to leave the
screwdriver and clip lead in place.