From:
Pinelands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 17:24:14 +0200
Hi

I am a complete beginner in networking and I plan to bolster my knowledge
about them before I hit varsity so her are a few questions I have. The more
info you can give the better. Web Sites would be nice too.

Having seen my schools network I am interested to know if the rest of the
world is prone by the problem of hard drives that are in complete disarray
and I fail to see the need for about 26 drives going from A-Z. Surely there
should be the normal Stiffy/Floppy Drive ;  Then a shared drive so that
learners can share information with each other and teachers can easily
distribute data among pupils. Then a small space of about 5mb for each
leaner and teacher 4 their personal files ; Then E: drive as the main
network drive that only the sys administartor can edit.

Is there a way to prevent learners from reseting/sending messages to other
learners computers through those programs that realy on IP address'

Is there a way of limiting the amount of Data that can be sent through the
network at any one time. To prevent the sopping of 200mb games.

What factors effect the speed of a network is it the server or workstations
?

Thanks
Kevin Hains
Cape Town
South Africa
Http://users.lia.net/hains
Http://www.ct.lia.net
Never Fight with a Dragon for thou art crunchy and goest well with cheese