From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:29:56 -0700
Even if you find the slot one you want, it will be very expensive. You
could probably find it on EBAY, but I suggest you buy a Slotket. This is a
slot one card that allows you to use an inexpensive PPGA/FC-PGA 370
processor in your Slot 1 motherboard.

You install the CPU on the slotket and then plug it into your slot one
board. A slotket costs anywhere from 9 to 50 dollars. The cheapest ones are
just a pass through, and rely on your motherboard to supply the correct
voltage, form = Coppermine etc, and FSB. But with the right motherboard
that is all you need. I am using a generic 9 dollar slotket on my ABIT BE6
rev 2 with a Celeron 1.1 Ghz. It has been working fine.

More expensive slotkets will overcome some of your motherboards limitations
such as FSB = Front side BUS, form factor, and most importantly voltage
requirements. Modern processors are clock locked so there is nothing to
adjust there.

The most expensive slotkets are made by Powerleap
http://www.powerleap.com/. However, these will allow some old boards to use
the most modern Tularian ( did I spell this right?) PIII and Celeron
processors.

Slotkets provide a easy path for a CPU upgrade. However, if you are
considering the expensive ones, you should weigh the convenience and ease
of install relative to the performance value received. It may make more
sense to upgrade your motherboard, RAM, power supply, and CPU, to a P4
class setup.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>Does anyone know of a vender or other source for Socket 1 Intel P3
>processors, preferrably 600 MHz?  I'm looking for a new boxed (non-OEM)
>processor.  Intel no longer sells them and I've had no luck finding them
>online or elsewhere.  My ASUS P3BF MB can only use 600 MHz or less.
>Duncan

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>