From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:00:57 -0700
At 05:53 PM 12/07/1999 , you wrote:
> >Date:    Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:29:22 -0700
> >From:    Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Re: Installing CD-ROM Driver
> >
> >At 10:57 PM 12/05/1999 , Doug White wrote:
> >>         I have an old Pentium 100 that just experienced a hard drive
>crash.  I
> >>replaced the old drive with another one that I scavenged out of another old
> >>box.
> >>
> >>         However, I am having a problem loading Windows back on.  It has
>an older
> >>Matsushita CD-ROM drive (4X I think) and I can't get it to load up with the
> >>generic CD driver that comes on the Windows Boot disk.
> >>
> >>         How do I get a CD driver loaded for an older drive like this so
>that I can
> >>do the regular boot/Windows CD installation?
> >
> >First you will need to read on the drive the exact model number for the
>drive.
> >Then download the proper driver for it from there site:
> >http://www.mei.co.jp/corp/Download/cdromdriver_e.html
> >(this comes from our list of CD Rom driver web sites listed on the NOSPIN
> >Links page).
> >

> >installation: copy the driver downloaded to your boot floppy
> >disk.   Add the following lines to your Config.sys &
> >Autoexec.bat on the floppy:
> >
> >Config.sys:
> >
> >device=(driver you downloaded) /d:001
> >
> >Autoexec.bat:
> >
> >mscdex.exe /d:001
> >
> >(*Note: be sure the mscdex.exe & (driver you downloaded) files are loaded
>on your
> >floppy disk)
> >
> >This should enable your CD Rom if it is still in working order.
> >
> >     Bob Wright
> >The NOSPIN Group
> >

>         Bingo!  We have the CR-ROM driver loaded!
>
>         But now I have another problem.  I try to run the setup program for
>Windows 95 of the CD and I get just past the disclaimer screen and the
>setup program freezes.  It seems like it is going back to drive A looking
>for something and freezes when it can't find it.
>
>         I am booting from a disk in drive A that I copied the system files and the
>CD-ROM driver files to.  Do I need one if those installation boot disks?  I
>have one for Windows 98 but it fails because the ATAPI driver on the disk
>doesn't work with the older CD-ROM I have on this machine.
>
>         Is there any configuration method of getting around this installation freeze?
>
>         Doug White

Windows95 does not require any special boot files beyond the Command.com
in order to load...  Try loading from the hard drive.

You will need to make a directory on your C drive called:
Cab_files.    At the DOS prompt type:  mkdir c:\cab_files   [press enter]

Then insert your CD in the drive and change to the Windows install files:
    At the DOS Prompt type:  d:  [press enter]  then:  cd win95  [press enter]
Now copy all the files in that directory to the hard drive:  At the DOS
prompt type: copy *.* c:\cab_files [press enter]

Now, go to the 'C' drive:   type:   C:  [press enter]
Then, change to the cab-files directory:  type:  CD c:\cab_files [press enter]
Now, the DOS prompt should be:   c:\cab_files
Just type:  Setup  [press enter]

Now it will setup from the hard drive and the CD drive is not in the equation.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>