From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:23:18 -0400
At 02:57 PM 06/06/2000 Rob E. wrote:

>What do you folks use for diagnostic software when trying to
>troubleshoot hardware problems?

Rob:

I use Troubleshooter. It uses a non-DOS operating system and the utilities
are fairly extensive and accurate.

However, I hardly use Troubleshooter to diagnose hardware problems, for the
reasons posted by others. Since the computer must fundamentally operate in
order for the software to work, it is useless for major system faults.
Essentially, an experienced PC technician can isolate and identify most
problems by assessing symptoms and clues. As with any wisdom, experience
(getting into problems) develops your heuristic and analytical abilities.
The better your skills, the less useful you'll find diagnostic software.

Also, diagnostic software may not differentiate between a hardware failure
and an installation problem (such as jumper settings, hardware
configuration, loose power or data connection). You have to open the box
and check components, anyway.

On the other hand, technician-level diagnostic software is useful for
evaluating unknown computer systems. This is the best use for the software
with its testing and burn-in routines. A valuable feature is a low-level
formatter, which is often worth the price of the software. But this
software has a limited market and the price reflects it. The cost is
prohibitive for most consumers.

In our Computers for Schools Program, we receive donated computers, which
we clean, inventory components and evaluate. We perform a full diagnostic
and burn-in with Troubleshooter to evaluate each computer and gather
information about it. Then, after recovering hardware drivers and enabling
software, we low-level format the hard drives (to insure the privacy of
donors, rejuvenate the drive sectors, and eliminate virus potential).  We
have other diagnostic software, but I haven't auditioned them since
Troubleshooter is sufficient for our purposes.

Most computer users are satisfied with identification of the faulty
component (a/k/a, Field Replaceable Unit, or "FRU"), which experienced lay
persons and technicians can perform without diagnostic software. Then the
part can be replaced or upgraded. The methodology de-emphasizes any greater
inquiry as unnecessary (viz. time & cost). Data recovery is another issue.

HTH.

John Chin

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html