From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 06:59:24 -0400
I've used a thing called ez-bios with success, in a
similar situation.

I put a larger hard-drive in an old laptop, and had the
same problem (except all the numbers were smaller).

The hard-drive came with this ez-bios (pure software,
no actual change to the bios) utility.  I believe at
boot time it somehow shadows the bios so it can
add the larger hard-drive support, although I really
don't know.

My only complaint (minor) was that it wouldn't work
on an ntfs partition.  Since I wanted ntfs, I had to make
a small fat boot (using normal, rather than microsoft
terminology) partition for both ez-bios and and the
nt boot files, and then a separate ntfs partition for the
'real' stuff.

I was dubious at first, but once I got it set up, it
worked flawlessly.

Good luck.

Niraj Jaiswal <[log in to unmask]>

> Just recently I bought a 20 GB Maxtor IDE Harddisk. I am
> able to see just 8 GB of the harddisk. When I browsed the
> microsoft site, I found out that the BIOS should have
> support for Int 13h Extensions to access harddisk beyond
> 8 GB.
>
> I went ahead and downloaded the latest BIOS from HP site.
> But somehow it doesn't seem to work. Unfortunately HP has
> stopped all support for HP Pavilion 7110Z.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html