From:
Donald DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:21:01 -0400
Hello Hugh,

I think maybe we can rule out a heat problem. Both fans are running good and
the computer is painstakingly cleaned out with a power air compressor two
times a year.

When I use the F12 key to go to the diagnostics page, I get a report saying
“Utility Partition not Available” and the computer just keeps going back to
the blue warning screen. I never gave it though to count the exact number of
beeps when the computer first shut down, (A true amateur). I think there
were at least four or five. The green and yellow lights on the back of the
computer are showing the flowing: A=G, B=G, C=G and D=Y. The web site
recommendation for that code sequence is to “Ensure that the cables are
properly connected from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive to the
system board.” I did that by removing all the connections and reinstalling
them. I located the original Dell Utilities CD and ran all the diagnostics
and that is telling me, “IDE device is blank or no media present in the
optical drive.”

Question: Just what is the IDE in my computer, is it replaceable and how
hard would it be for me to replace?

Don

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Antonio Figueroa <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Don Dewitt:
>
> Do the lights do any pattern?,Does it beep 5 times steady or does do 1 beep
> then 3 beep then 1beep,here is what I found online,hope it helps.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/adtshoot.htm#wp1052933
>
> Best Regard,
>                         Antonio Figueroa

                     visit our download web page at: