From:
Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:12:40 -0500
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:39:06 -0800, Mike Curtis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Lynn,
>
>On a Compaq system, 1L 3S beeps indicates "System ROM bad; system is
>running in FailSafe Boot Block Mode.  Compaq recomends reflashing the
>ROM.
>
>Also, on Compaq systems the beeps occur at the same time as all
>keyboard lights are flashing.  Does your system have any lights that
>flash at startup, i.e. keyboard, power/hard drive, etc.
>
>What BIOS does the Dell system use?
>
>When did it first start to occur?  After processor swap?  After
>flashing the bios? or something else?
>
>Not sure if Dell is similar enough with Compaq but it might point you
>in the right direction...
>
>Mike
>--- Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Hope someone here knows what this is....
>>
>> I've been scouring the 'net but come up empty-handed.
>>
>> It's:
>>
>> 1 - long, followed by 3 short, beeps. I still get the regular, single
>> POST beep just before my splash screen starts.
>>
>> I even listened over & over to be sure it wasn't 1-2-1..... it's
>> definitely 1 long, 3 short.
>>
>> It's the Dell Dim. XPS-T 450. I now have a Powerleap Celeron 1.3Ghz
>> in it as well as a Promise controller for my 100GB HD. Have a DVD &
>> CD-burner, too. Original Voodoo3 (I have a Geforce 3 to go in but
>> don't want to add to the stew).  Board is Intel (440BX), BIOS is
>> Phoenix 4.0-6.  I'm flashed to the last BIOS available from Dell,
>> A11.
>>
>> I've reseated the memory & video card. Tried it with Sandra, Hot CPU
>> Test Lite (6 hour test/burn-in/"defect-detect"), PCPitstop-- all say
>> there's nothing wrong. What is going on here?  It's disturbing
>> because I can't find this code & worry about my data either being
>> corrupted at some point or the whole deal possibly going down- what
>> is this code???
>>
>> Hope someone here from PCBuilders can help- or another person who's
>> been through this?
>>
>> Thank you for your time & interest,
>>
>> Lynn Tracy
>>
>>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

Hi Mike,

My upgrades are recent & I can't say when the beeping started.  I have this PC in a small (6x8) room.  I usually walk in in the morning, hit power, walk out for coffee, come back & I'm at the desktop.  I noticed the beep just this week.  I have a Phoenix BIOS 4.0-6.  As I said- this code is not listed for Dell nor Phoenix.  I get no onscreen error code.  Everything works on my PC.  I have a set of four diagnostic lights on the back panel that show all green (all OK) at desktop.  My last BIOS flash was long ago- the new pieces are the Powerleap & the Promise card.  I'm wondering if the Promise card could be the culprit?  Could there be something amiss in the PCI bus mastering, etc...Someone here or elsewhere suggested a DMA or bus possibility of some sort.
 I did already move the card once (first installing) when it appeared to have a conflict with my NIC- this is just occuring to me now.  What do you think?  I haven't heard of this but I've not really researched it yet.
I have no monitor or screen problems & no hang at boot- just the beeps.  All programs run, including video intensive games.  Nothing is flagged in device manager- all say "enabled, no conflicts, etc... Seems there would be more to go on than this one beep thing?

Again,
Thanks for your time & help,
LT