From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:45:58 -0400
Unfortunately, he could probably use both a better video card and more ram
(despite the ridiculously low system specifications listed on the WoW
website), but if I was wanting to experiment and do an upgrade incrementally
to see what difference it would make, I would start with the video card.

My recommendation for a card in the $150 range would be to get a 6600GT
128mb (I assume that this is an AGP system).  For example, online vendors,
like NewEgg and Mwave have the eVGA 6600GT for around $144 after a $15 mail
in rebate.

http://tinyurl.com/brk6s

Upgrading a Dell, with their tendency to use a minimal power supply, at
least on their inexpensive models, is always a bit iffy.  Most higher end
video cards, including the 6600GT, require a connection from the power
supply to be plugged in.  Ideally, this should be a line that isn't being
shared with any other devices.

With regards to a memory upgrade, you might have seen that another poster
has run into problems trying to upgrade the memory in his Dell system.  Dell
will sell you memory that they recommend for this system; otherwise, I would
go to a site like Crucial's and use their webpage to help you find the right
memory to match this system's hardware.  One gigabyte has become the minimum
for playing many of today's computer games, and there are even some games
for which that is no longer enough.

The problem that you and your son are running into is that modern computer
games, especially the first person perspective games, are among the most
demanding software applications that you can throw at a home computer.  Many
mass-produced computers are really aimed at those who will be doing things
like web-browsing, email, and word-processing.  When folks expect these
computers to be able to step up and take on some computer games, they are
often frustrated.

By the way, I don't think that there is any advantage in going from DSL to
cable for playing computer games online.  Assuming you are getting a good
ping to most sites on the internet, the issue of rising pings and lag under
some circumstances while playing online may have more to do with how well
the server being played on is meeting its hardware and bandwidth
requirements (assuming you've made sure your computer is capable of
processing the game action and related network traffic).

I hope this is helpful.

John Sproule