From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:46:53 -0800
Is your power supply fan running?  Does your CPU have a fan or a heat sink?
Do you have a chassis fan?  What CPU do you have?  If you have done a
rebuild and installed a new mobo and CPU, you may have forgotten to make
arrangements for proper cooling.  Your power supply has a built in fan, but
it can die.  I just replaced my power supply because the fan died, although
I simply added a new fan to the old one after I got the new power supply (I
didn't feel like being down), so now I have a spare power supply.  Your OS
isn't working so hot either.  While some problems can be attributable to
heat, that may not be everything.  First thing is provide for adequate
cooling, and if that doesn't do it, give some thought to either getting a
new machine or upgrading with a ground up rebuild.  Joel

Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Hot?

just a few questions,
Do u have built i video and built in sound,
And is the Motherboard a PCCHIPS
It could be just your motherboard, gone faulty. VERY common with the
PCCHIPS. especially due to the video and sound being built in.

You may need to try a better motherboard and you will instantly see a
difference. Fixed that problem with my bosses computer last week.
Motherboards won't last a lifetime,
Regards,
Daniel

>My computer goes absolutely crazy at times.
>It will lockup, no matter what I am doing with it.
>Day before yesterday, I must have restarted it at least 50 times.
>After restart it might load Dos, Safe mode or windows.
>I think there was something like a time cycle involved.
>I tried to reload WIN 98SE and got nowhere with it.
>I suspected that heat might be the problem, so I turned it off
>for the night.  The next morning it worked fine for awhile and
>then went goofy again. Once again I turned it off for the night.
>The next morning I removed the side cover and left it off.
>It has worked far better since then, however it is not
>trouble free yet.
>Is it possible that heat is the problem and if so, what do I do
>about it?
>I have Norton System Works and it doesn't catch the problem.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com