From:
Rick Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:37:57 -0400
At 08:16 PM 9/25/2000 -0400, John Penberthy wrote:
>I recently talked a customer into trying Windows 2000.
>
>In trying to intgrate the system into his Windows 98 peer to peer network,
>(no server), he is able to see other Win98 computers from the Win2k machine,
>but not visa-versa.  Sometimes it sees and asks for a password, most of the
>time its "no see" or "cannot find."

John-

For starters, you need to create an account on the Win2000 machine for each
of the Win9x peers. Typically, this will be the same name and login that is
used at the Win9x machine.

On the Win2000 machine, right click on "My Computer", select "manage" and
from there drill down to where you can add user accounts. Should be pretty
straightforward from there. You need to set the user name, password, and
permissions (although as default, they are set to "everything" which should
be OK for a home peer network).

Also, if you haven't done it, switch to NetBUEI on the machines, or at
least add it as a protocol. It is actually faster on small peer networks
(which is what it was designed for) and allows you to see the machines by
name when you browse the network without having to fool around with Netbios
over IP and all that stuff (which I've never been able to get to work
anyway- it can be done, but it's a waste of time for a small peer network
when NetBEUI is so easy).

Hope this helps-

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>